- Keep clutter off floor
- Replace satiny sheets and comforters with products made of non-slippery material such as wool or cotton
- Install a nightlight along the route between your bedroom and the bathroom
- Arrange furniture so you have a clear pathway between rooms
- Keep low-rise coffee tables, magazine racks, footrests and plants out of the path of traffic
- Remove loose area rugs
- Store good dishes and cooking equipment within easy reach.
- Do not stand on chairs or boxes to reach upper cabinets
- Immediately clean up any liquids, grease or food spilled on the floor
- Light switches should be at the top and bottom of the stairs.
- Remove loose area rugs from the bottom or top of the stairs.
- Install handrails on both sides of the stairway. Each should be 30” above the stairs and extend the full length of the stairs.
- Keep a nightlight in the bathroom
- Install grab bars in the shower and near the toilet
- Place non-skid adhesive textured strips inside the tub